According to ancient eastern traditions, the spiritual teacher, Buddha attained enlightenment while sitting under the Bodhi tree or sacred fig tree. Because of this, the bodhi tree is considered a tree of life. The tree and it's heart-shaped leaves have become rich in symbolic meanings. They are symbols for peace, love, truth, wisdom and enlightenment.I love learning about other cultural ideals and concepts. After some research on this, I learned that the bodhi tree and it's leaf are greatly revered in Buddhism and major symbols in eastern culture. I was inspired to make my own interpretation of the bodhi leaf in clay pictured below. They have the word 'Love' written on the back of each one. (During Buddha's Day celebrations, Buddha's birthday, it is customary to write little messages or wishes and hopes on paper bodhi leaves.)
The leaves represent three main ideas or concepts I wanted to keep close to my heart.
First, the leaf represents a connection with mother earth. It serves as a symbolic reminder of the cycles of life and of nature, of renewal and hope.
Secondly, the heart-shaped profile of the bodhi leaf also has symbolic meanings. It represents universal love and compassion for all life.
Thirdly, the leaf represents inner peace, tranquility, serenity, well-being, self-love and happiness.
All this wrapped up into one little leaf!
I would now like to round out my journey with the bodhi leaf concept by sending some of them out into the world. I'm giving away my little bodhi leaves to anyone who wants one! I have these 6 leaves to give away. Just leave me a comment with your e-mail address, if you would like one. Please feel free to comment even if you don't want a leaf, but if you do leave your e-mail address, so that I can collect your snail mail. The first 6 to respond and leave me their e-mail, will get a leaf! My hope is that the leaf will bring you some peace of mind as it has me.

20 comments:
I would love a leaf. Inner peace, tranquility, serenity would be wonderful right now too! Thank you for the give away! Doreen
willeyworld@hotmail.com
Erin, I love this post and I would love a Bhodi leaf. I also love learning about other cultural traditions and religious thought. I have a little collection of budhas from all over the Asia Pacific. And as you know my own little Jizo. This is such a sweet offer and would have a lot of meaning for me. SummersStudioPottery@yahoo.com
As I read the descriptions of these leaves, I realized the descriptions coincide with how I feel about myself and my environment as I get older. In touch with the earth more than ever, inner peace and serenity I've never known before, far more compassion for all life. I'd be honored to have one of your leaves, if I'm so chosen.
Yay, I would love a Bhodi leaf! You provided a lot of interesting information! I just finished a class on Buddhism for school, and it was my favorite class. I did not know about the Bhodi leaf though. Thank you so much for your generous giveaway!
lucidmoonstudio at gmail.com
What a great post Erin! I've been delving into a little eastern religion myself lately. I like their way of thinking. There's alot of common sense involved in it. And, yes, I'd love a leaf!
2ifbysea@bellsouth.net
Looks like I might be just in time for a little leaf too! I might need to do a little leaf conglomeration project!
Mellisa :)
info at chinookjewelry.com
why you lucky sticks! I may have missed out, but wanted to say they are wonderful, love the meaning behind them.
What a nice sentiment. Even if I'm too late, that was a very nice post and contest!
I know I'm way too late to win, but it this is a great idea.
Namaste.
ahh darnit. Guess I'm late.
they are beautiful. you know I love your leaves.
:)
Hi, Erin:
Thank you for the thank you on my blog. I can't wait to get my CUTE leaf! I hope it was okay to use your picture. I am not sure if it an okay thing to take a picture from someone's blog and put it on your own?? I was just so excited about my leaf!
This is so beautiful! I just had someone tell me a bodhi leaf story over the weekend. It's like kismet. I'm inspired to work with some more leaves this year :)
I got my leaf in the mail today! Yipee! I love it. Thanks so much for sharing them with us, Erin. I'll let you know when I use it.
Erin: I got my leaf! It is just the cutest thing! You are very talented! I love it!
My leaf made it too! Pretty teal glaze and so cute! I may just have to keep it to hold for a while before making something with it...
These are so pretty! Love the teal/greeny ones!
March 9, 2009
Hello Erin ~
What a delight to find your blog about your beautiful clay creations. My husband, Steve, and I have recently become Reps for Organic and Natural Enterprise, aka ONEgroup. ONEgroup offers Certified Organic products for health and a healthy home. The company symbol is the Bodhi leaf. Wanting to learn more about the Bodhi leaf is how I found you.
I’m sure you will enjoy, and resonate with, the story of why ONEgroup chose the Bodhi leaf to be their symbol.
The ONEgroup logo incorporates the Company symbol, the Bodhi Leaf. The Asiatic fig is known as the Bodhi Tree (bodhi = being awake, enlightened, supreme knowledge) or ficus religiosa – Latin for sacred fig.
The simplicity of a single leaf resonates with ONEgroup’s philosophy of minimal processing and cold formulation of ingredients – a true legacy of the beautiful colours and fragrances nature has provided in the plant kingdom and the healing properties that are hidden within. Importantly, the leaf compliments the message of Certified Organic.
The almost heart-shaped profile of the Bodhi leaf has symbolic parallels with love, truth and happiness. The leaf also symbolizes enlightened business practice and vision to ONEgroup. We seek better products, a business model and business practices that retain their “organic” standards, are consistent with environmentally sustainable principles and add value to the community and to
all of the people associated with ONEgroup.
Wishing You a beautiful day and continued inspiration from Mother Nature ~
Barbara ~
http://www.WWMorganics.mionegroup.com
As I read about your beautiful leaves, I thought 'how perfect for my daughter who just named her newborn son Bodhi'. Then I got to the posts and saw how many there were. So perhaps I will find such a treasure somewhere sometime in the future. Thank you for sharing the beauty and inspiration of the Bodhi leaf.
Lynn
I found your blog in my search for the perfect gift for my new baby nephew 'Bodhi'. I know that I am too late to receive one of your gorgeous leaves but was wondering if you sell these beautiful little treasures? Thank you very much - it is people like you that make this world a better place.
All the way from Australia
Tracy
tldean2101@aol.com
Your Bodhi Leaves are beautiful! Looks like I'm too late to be the 6th person. I posted an image of my Bodhi leaf I got in Bodh Gaya. All best to you in the New Year 2010!
lizavedon at ymaildotcom
Post a Comment